Sitting in the lunchroom at work today one of the girls discovered a Dairy Queen icecream cake in the freezer that was forgottton about (this rarely happens at my work, food practically evaporates into thin air, banking makes us hungry - and no not just for your money and fees, hahahaa aren't you funny?)
Instead of inhaling a piece immediately i started researching ice cream cake recipes on my iphone and it didn't sound too hard to recreate, this is usually a sign of a recipe that will turn out to be a total flop but i'm putting my hopeful hat on here (in size small) that all will turn out well and BF will come home to a lovingly slaved over frozen yoghurt cake made just for him! - i'll wait while you all saw "awwwwwwww" then i'll tell you that i will tell BF that its an icecream cake in order to avoid the sad faced comment about the frozen yoghurt of "oh? really? well does it taste okay"?
To healthify the recipe a little, i will use frozen yoghurt instead of icecream - i've never been a huge icecream fan, too sugary for my taste and i've added fruit to the icecream to sneak in a little fibre, again, no way to sneak spinach into this recipe, I'll work on that next week!
NEXT DAY UPDATE:
The hopeful hat failed me, oh the shame - the result was MESSY!!! Oh gosh friends, i have A LOT of work to do on this recipe before i share it with you - BF loved loved loved it, i totally got the fudge oreo middle right but the fruit tasted wrong, i let the frozen yoghurt get too warm before refreezing BUT i still have all the ingredients to give it another college try so stay tuned!
Sooooo instead i've made you protein pancakes as a piece offering until i master the frozen yoghurt cake!
DONNA'S PROTEIN PANCAKES
(with cinnamon and grapefruit)
|Hi, i'm a photogenic grapefruit, nice to meet you - have you forgotten about the icecream cake donna promised you yet? yes? gooood, my job here is done, i'm off to be chopped up and sprinkled on a pancake now - waaahhhh!|
1/4 cup of egg whites (2 egg whites)
1/4 cup of fat free cottage cheese
1/2 banana mashed
1/4 cup of oatmeal
1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
1 Tbsp of ground flax (optional)
1 tsp of cinnamon (necessary, it helps fight bad breath and who doesn't need that at breakfast?)
Directions1. Mix egg whites, cottage cheese and banana
2. Add in oatmeal, chia seeds, ground flax and cinnamon
3. Spray pan with non stick spray
4. Add pancake to pan over medium heat - i made one big pancake it took about 6 minutes before i started to see bubbles and flipped the pancake then another 3 minutes on the other side
5. Panic because you think pancake is burning but realize its just left overs from last nights dessert disaster that melted on the stovetop ring
6. Remove from heat, add toppings, today i went with grapefruit and cinnamon with agave nectar, my nana and grandad used to eat a grapefruit every morning, i was feeling nostalgic!
7. Enjoy OR take it outside and photograph it long enough that it gets cold and you have to re-heat it in the microwave!
8. Share the outside pancake photos on your blog :o)
9. Then share the picture of what you suffer through to share half decent pictures of breakfast food to all my blog readers - yup thats me in my furry robe with uggs and the doodle hanging out in hopes that the pancake will be shared because not only is she cute, she is fluffy too!
Have a great long weekend friends i'm off for a run with the doodle (and yes i shared some pancake with her, for the cinnamon benefit of course, her doggie breath stinks)
Ps: this was my first time taking food photos with my DLSR, a wee bit better then the iPhone pics i think, can't wait till the weather improves and i don't risk frostbite on my hoohaaaa to photograph meals