Thursday, February 17, 2011

Leggo my Eggo

Gosh DARN it all to heck - since i apparently can't bring myself to swear on my blog this is all i have to relay my feeling about this.......

I was sooo proud of myself yesterday, i said no to feta cheese while out to dinner with my bestest girl friends, but as i was snuggled up on the couch with BF watching "Get Him To The Greek" (he is on a Russell Brand kick since he starting reading his autobiography, quality reading people, quality) I paused mid animal cracker mouth massecre to consult the ingrediant list and low and behold, there was EGG!!!!!!!!! Oh the horror, it was organic egg but it was still frickin egg

Soooo instead of throwing them aside and attacking something that contained both meat and dairy, i pouted and then went to bed - i was too tired for more theatrical angst over my epic fail to be a vegan

Back at it today, I am planning on letting in some dairy on the weekend (visualize me worshiping the cheese aisle in Zehrs here)

But until then...I have a yummy snacking recipe for you all today - get excited cause it doesn't have egg and they taste REALLY good


Roasted salt and vinegar CHICK PEAS
AKA Crack Peas in my house, they taste THAT good!
adapted from: oh she glows


1. Take a can of chick peas and drain and rinse them (i use PC organic)
2. Bring a pot of white vinegar to boil (usually about 3 cups will do), add the chick peas and boil for 2 minutes on high
3. Watch the chick peas dance for you and try not to put your face directly over the pot, it won't turn out good, it will end up with you squinting in a suspicious way for at least an hour
4. Turn the heat off and let chick peas sit in the vinegar for at least 30 minutes (mini chick pea vacation before they meet their doom - your stomach)
5. Drain the chick peas and spread them out on a cookie sheet and leave to dry (leave them/forget about them when you go to work, same thing) i usually put tin foil down first to help roast and honestly to make cleaning up easier

6. Preheat oven to 425
7. Once dry sprinkle extra virgin olive oil (about 1 tablespoon but its up to you), sea salt, and ground pepper
8. Put in oven for 20 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then, once they start to brown and get crispy get them out!   The original recipe calls for 40 minutes which works if they aren't entirely dry, i dried mine for about 9 hours (literally while i was at work) and they were cooked in 20 minutes - key to this is keep an eye on them (hopefully your eyes will have recovered from staring directly into the boiling pot because you know you are going to try it!)
9. ENJOY! The first couple will taste kind of meh, but beleive me eat a few more and you will have to stop yourself from eating the whole pan, or not, totally up to you!


Yummy crackpea goodness
Ps: is it me or are those animal crackers in my first picture mocking me on the box? 
Pps: yes i did draw mustaches on some of them, i am that immature