|This is seriously the face i'm making as i write|
Its part confused/part sad/part startled/part irritated but still kinda cute :o)
Yesterday was just one of those days, you know the kind i mean...
- Where you dislike everyone for no real reason - a neighbour glanced my way while i was waiting for the car to heat up and i just felt him judging me for not scraping and just waiting for the car de-scrape itself, and honestly he probably just had a neck spazm
- Everything makes you want to cry - not just sappy commercials because those ALWAYS make me cry, but being out of paperclips? cue the tears
- Nothing goes right - BF was not a fan of the morning oatmeal and i felt like a big failure no matter how many hugs i got
- You feel completely out of control of everything in your life - cue the violins, i'm going to vent...
Okay, enough of the serious stuff - on those days where nothing will make me feel better i make comfort food - here are the results
Donnas Shephards Pie
my healthy spin on an old classic aka: the healthified version
My relationship with shephards pie goes wwwaaayyyy back - we are totally buds - it was always a welcomed dinner in the L family household (unlike say liver, shudder!), this is one of those hodge podge meals you can just throw anything in - except the kitchen sink, you need that to do the dishes (but who am i kidding i put everything in the dishwasher)
- Lean ground beef, pork, turkey or my choice soy beef
- Your choice of vegetables - today i was feeling the corn/greenbean/tomato combo
- Potato topping - i used a mix of cauliflower and sweet potato
- Seasoning - i usually go with a ketchup/bbq sauce combo but today i'm venturing into organic spice mix territory
- Cheese, cheese glorious cheese
- Steam/microwave/boil your potatoes (i steamed my chopped cauliflower and sweet potatoes in the microwave)
- Mash your potatos, or if you are lazy like me use the immersion blender, then add in a little greek yoghurt, garlic, and butter to make it creamy
- Add a little olive oil to a frying pan and toss in some chopped up shallots (best way to explain shallots would be for you to imagine that garlic and onions had a baby and since they thought apple was a dumb name and gwyenth had already used it they called it shallot - not to be confused with shiloh)
- Add in your meat
- Cook until your meat is browned - i don't want anyone getting food poisoning on my watch! (if its soy it will only take a couple of minutes to heat up)
- Add your spinach, seasoning, corn and green beans
- Once the spinach is wilted remove from heat
- Layer your potatos onto the meat and spread evenly
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Broil in the oven on low for approx 5 minutes, make sure you watch it and don't get distracted playing spin for a treat with your doodle because that would make you have to come up with vveerryy creative ways to photograph dinner without showing unphotogenic brown spot on the top!
RESULT: This was super tasty, we had enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow and BF didn't even notice the cauliflower mixed in to the sweet potatoes, this recipe is definitely a keeper
The rest of the evening was spent being imaginative with migraine solving solutions: i drank wine, took tylenol, and last but not least created (not just made: i created it sounds fancier) home made ginger molasses cookies, and then proceeded to eat my weight in cookies - don't worry i'm not just being a tease, the recipe will come tomorrow!
Until then i'm going to put my perky hat on (yes yes its size small and i look ridonkulous in it) and i'm GOING to have a better day, i'm usually only "unreasonable" for one day a month, i just feel bad for all the glasses of wine and ginger molasses cookies i hurt during those 24 hours
Bye friends, i'm off to figure out how to dethaw my car without running into THE neighbour and find some more damn paperclips or its just going to be niagara falls all over again!
Have a great day xox