Alright blog readers, its time to take a side after you see the kick ass recipes i have for you today...
Sweet or Salty?
Since i am the referree i can't take sides because if i'm being honest, i equally love both, i wish i could be one of those people that says they couldn't care less for desserts (i want to smack sense into those people, i mean really? have you ever had a real creme brulee?) its almost as bad as the folks who don't like chocolate (blasphemy!), but then i love organic potatoe chips like they are part of my family (you know that member that you sneak bites of when no one is looking) bahahahaaaa
I am one of those people that can't eat sweet before salty though, i mean there is a proper order people, salty then sweet, i'm confused enough during my every day life* without confusing my taste buds as well
* i showed up for work stupidly early today for NO reason other then i got confused by the time, oh the joys of being blonde
Here is a list of my loves (in the form of food cause you know i totally love BF, Fur Baby and family the most... yup totally love them more then cheesecake.... unless cheesecake is in front of me... then all bets are off), i've limited each category to 3 as no one wants to read my "actual" list that goes on for miles - talking of miles i'm definitely going to have to run a few after the recipes coming up, getting excited yet?
Dairy Milk Chocolate (see yesterdays post)
---> Gee whiz* could i have picked ANY more fattening foods?
My Fav Salty Food
Boulders salt and malt vinegar chips
Cheeeesssseeeeeeeeeeee (pause to wipe drool from the keyboard)
* I'm aparently from 1953 today and while i feel its perfectly aceptable to write ass in the opening sentence, the naughtiest i can be mid post with my vocabulary is gee whiz
Okay you have been held in suspense long enough the recipes i have for you today are...
In the salty corner over here we have STRAWBERRY BACON ORZO SALAD
~insert some arm flailing and ring girl smile (BF makes me watch too much UFC sorry)~
In the other sweet corner of the ring we have STRAWBERRY OAT BARS
So in case you haven't figured it out - todays What I Wedneday consists of 2 recipes, both featuring Strawberries, One sweet, One salty
Oh It... Is... On....
Strawberry Bacon Orzo Salad
adapted from How Sweet It Is
1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo
2 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup whole pecans
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups raw spinach
4 large strawberries, sliced
1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
Fresh basil for garnish
salt and pepper
1. Start to cook Orzo as per directions on package (err cause you know, i forget how long)
2. Add bacon to a large pan over medium heat and cook till golden brown and crispy
3. Remove from heat and pat dry with paper towel
4. Add pecans to the bacon fat and toast for approximately 6 minutes or so
5. Remove pecans from heat and dry with paper towel
6. Add red onion to the pan for about 10 minutes with a pinch of salt and saute until onions are soft
7. Add in spinach and garlic and cook till spinach wilts then add in the strawberries and orzo and mix along with another pinch of salt and pepper
8. Remove from heat and top with goat cheese and fresh basil
REVIEW: While the taste of this meal was incredible, it was one of those recipes i obsess about then when i finally eat it i'm totally over it and can't stand the thought of eating it again, i think the key reason was cooking food in bacon grease, i've never been able to eat greasy food and today my stomach didn't disappoint me, stupid stomach!
Strawberry Oat Bars
adapted from Oh She Glows
- 2 cups of chopped strawberries * i used 1 cup of strawberries, 1 of blueberries so i could get the BF to eat them!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsp warm water (i used arrow root instead)
- 3 cups regular oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp (6oz) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract *** I forgot to put this in and didn't miss it at all
2. Line an 8inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper
3. In a small bowl mix together cornstarch with warm water to form a paste making sure there are no clumps left and set it aside
4. In a small saucepan, combine the berries, banana, and maple syrup
5. Bring to a boil and stir well, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla and the pre-mixed cornstarch, whisk until all clumps are gone and set aside.
6. Place 1.5 cups of oats into a food processor and process until a flour/fine powder forms. Add this processed flour, remaining 1.5 cup of oats, baking powder, and salt into large bowl and stir
7. Add in the applesauce, maple syrup, water, vanilla and mix well
8. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan and push down firmly with fingers to flatten
9. Spread the berry filling over the oat base until smooth
10. Crumbe the remaining oat base mixture on top
11. Bake for 30 minutes at 375F or until the top is slightly golden and firm. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into squares (torture, i tell you, torture!)
REVIEW: Holy freaking yummm this was AMAZING, i had to eat it with a fork as the fruit was a little runny still but considering i didn't add any sugar to this recipe the taste blew me away, blew me - see thats me way over there waving at you! Even BF who is of the "i hate berries camp" really really liked them - i know this because he said (and i quote) "they weren't bad at all", lol!
So whats the verdict, sweet or salty? Duke it out Blog Friends
or maybe you'll be Switzerland like me and have a little of both ;o)
Happy Hump Day!
Ps: Miss you M&D, hope you are having a blast xoxoxoxoxoxoxox